Monday 3 October 2011

How My Family Became Stronger


I was about to head to ten days of rejuvenating vacation with my family when I badly hurt my fourth and fifth toe of my left foot. The fourth toe got fractured. The ligament of the fifth toe was torn and the bone was dislocated. To add to my woes the skin that joins my fourth toe with the fifth one had deep cuts and the doctor had to give seven stitches to sew the wound that was oozing with blood. I had to also undergo surgery for repairing the ligament and of course for fixing the dislocated bone to its usual position. I was in pain but more than that I was distraught that my daughter would not be able to enjoy the vacation that she was badly looking forward to. However, my sorrows end here. What followed was an extremely enriching feeling for me. Though I am weak temporarily; my family is stronger than before!

This crisis situation has brought us even closer. I was overwhelmed by the love, concern and care showered upon me by my husband and daughter. I kept on smiling because I wanted to instil the importance of a positive mental health on my daughter’s impressionable mind. I understand that if I display the feelings of peace and calmness even in testing times, she will be less likely to have emotional problems while dealing with the complexities of life. I want her to be strong and hence had to become strong myself.

Since I was emotionally positive, my husband got strength to deal with the additional responsibilities with a clearer mind. Even when I was in hospital he made sure that the everyday routine of our house is not disrupted. Life should move on at its usual pace even when there are setbacks. Since both my husband and I try to find advantages in adversities; we found this a good opportunity to teach our child how to take some more load of running the house. 

I am back home. Doctor has advised restricted movement. What can be a better time to teach some additional household skills to my daughter and I am taking full advantage of my restricted movement by making her stronger in all aspects. She is learning new household skills and unconsciously observing how to be cheerful even in bad situations. To add to these advantages I am able to spend more time with her.

I have also been able to really spend quality time with my husband, which is otherwise impossible because of his hectic schedule. Though the vacation would have given us this opportunity, the quality time that I am getting without going on the vacation is more precious and meaningful to me.

As a family we are stronger now, because we understand that it is not our physical condition but our attitude and environment at home that affects our mental well-being. We are stronger because we know that our happiness is connected to each other and this is why the three of us are laughing together more than before because now we understand that a family that laughs together can successfully fight the adversities.

The hospital staffs were good to me. They understood my needs so well and were completely empathetic to my pain even when they have to face taxing manoeuvres every day in their careers. Our relatives are far way but are emotionally supporting us over frequent phone calls. We are stronger because in this crisis situation we were able to realize that we are surrounded by excellent neighbours, friends and colleagues. They have been our pillars of strength and have provided support in more ways than we could think of.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amrita, this is really very touching. Wish you speedy recovery. Take Care .

    ReplyDelete